Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lisa Johnson
SIUE Police Officer
By: Kaytlin Day

In today's workforce women only make up 11% of police officers, but I had the pleasure of interviewing a female officer via phone who is currently employed by the Southern Illinois University police force. On Wednesday, June 16, 2010, Lisa Johnson made time for a conference call with me. Lisa had a young, but certain voice. She spoke with confidence that showed strength and assurance that was definitely admirable. Lisa attended Eastern Illinois University. I asked her if she had always intended on becoming a police officer, and she answered with a no. She said she originally went to school for speech communication, but later changed to law enforcement. When asked what had influenced her career choice, she simply said her father. Her father had served as an officer for 30 years, and she said "sometimes it's just in your blood." Which I completely agree with as my mother is a teacher, and I have been positively influenced to follow in her footsteps and become an educator as well. Lisa has been working on SIUE's police force for the past four years, where she says she really enjoys her job. Her favorite part of the job is the fact that every day is different, she stated "you never know what to expect and I really like that about the job." She talked about the challenges of her job as well though, where she says that it's definitely a struggle to balance work with three children. We also talked about how her male co-workers interact and treat her. Luckily for her she says that she has been well respected by her male co-workers, but she unquestionably felt as though there was a trial period for her to prove herself in her line of work. I also asked her about others reactions towards her when she tells them what her line of work is, where she says that she has never had any negative comments made towards her, and that most respect her when she tells them her line of work.

Questions about Body Image

Are you happy with your body and/or do you feel sexy?
"Yes I am happy with my body, I've recently lost some weight and I'm happy with how I look"

Favorite Body Part
"My arms. My mom and I recently joined a fitness class and my arms are getting more toned. It's important to be in shape as a police officer."

How do you feel about Barbie? If Barbie was a real person she would be 5'9 and 110 lbs, do you think this is positive and realistic for young girls?

"Haha no. I laugh because I am 5'9 and that weight would be unrealistic. I would love a more realistic image, maybe somewhere between the Barbie now and GI Jane. I have girls and I want something that's more reasonable for them to play with or be influenced by."

Any advice for young girls about body image or about going into a career that's not typically female?
"I think that parents need to help their children be active and help influence them. Staying active is important and makes you feel better. About choosing a career I recommend them not being in a hurry to decide their career. Sometimes it takes a bad job to know what a good job is, but don't be discouraged. But mostly YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment